Monday, October 25, 2010

2NE1

2NE1 is pronounced 'tweny-one' as in 21, or 'to-any-one'. The meaning of the name is "21st Century New Evolution". They are a Korean pop group made up of 4 members, namely CL, Park Bom, Sandara Park (Dara) and Minzy.
In the greater scheme of things they aren't anything particularly amazing; they are one of many Korean pop groups, but I do think they've got something nifty about them. It might just be that I was at Technomart again on the weekend, and I watched one of their music videos on a big HD TV which got me infatuated, or it might be something else, I'm not sure. All I know is I think they are quite cool and felt like sharing.

One of the interesting things about 2NE1 is that they actually made their debut in what is basically a music video made for a commercial. The music video was created to promote a phone by LG Cyon, called the Lollipop phone (which students here go crazy for). After they debuted in "Lollipop", they followed up with their official debut "Fire".

I think 2NE1 is somewhat cool as they don't seem to follow the 'cutesy, nice girl' theme that is all the rage here in Korea. They have a bit more of an edge to them. That is not to say that the cutesy, nice girl theme doesn't go down well, it's just that this is...different.
This is the Lollipop commercial:



And here is the song I watched at Technomart. I must say I really like this video. Also, I think the production quality of this video is fantastic:



NE-way (see what I did there..??), that's it. I like 2NE1 and I felt like sharing some of their music, so here it is, all shared, in all it's glory, so watch it. If you can, watch 'Clap Your Hands' in its full 1080pHD splendour. It really is worth it!

Post by Oliver

0 comments:

Post a Comment