Friday, February 25, 2011

Kitsch Korean Art

Modern day Korea is kitsch and much of the art in Korea is also kitsch yet I wouldn't have it any other way.


Any attraction on Korea is bound to have photo opportunities, places where you can stand by hearts and be cute. Being cute is a very important quality in Korea.....its something I struggle with; I have never been good at batting my eyes. There are also bounds of abstract art things I don't quite understand.


When I think about art and Asia I think about beautiful strokes with an eastern flare that are stylish, feminine and historical but it turns out that that’s not what art in Korea is like.

Sure, you can find these Eastern beauties but they are often hidden away in fancy art galleries somewhere in Seoul. Chances are you will get lucky in Insadong but even there the art is more western.

Like I said earlier the main form of art we encountered in Korea was kitsch and out in the open and somehow I wouldn't have it any other way. It is so different and strange.

What's more is that there are also photographic exhibitions everywhere you go, although often the photos are mediocre and I wonder who chooses them. But I think a lot of this has to do with the fact that everyone seems to have a professional camera and I think that has a lot to do with the socio-economic situation in Korea.

People have money, more than they know what to do with.

Anyway, clearly I am rambling and this is a post saying something but I am not quite sure what.

Well. Here is some of the random art we have encountered, not the kitschiest but definitely some of the most random. And I like it, yes I said it out loud and I am going to be discredited and labelled as someone who clearly knows nothing! But hey...it is so totally Korean!


A totally cool big fish!

Random, abstract glass thing

 Awesom clay men

Random heart in th middle of nowhere! Makes me think of a Justin Timberlake song, weird!



0 comments:

Post a Comment