Friday, May 7, 2010

Food glorious food!

I have been asked endlessly about what the food is like in Korea. If I could sum it up in three words it would be SPICEY, TASTEY and GOOD!

Many of you who know me know that I can barely handle a packet of Peppadew Lays, let alone a plate of incredibly spicey food. But hey, a girl has to eat…so I have had to learn. I am proud to report that after a week and a half in Korea I am already showing a higher tolerance for hot food! Yeah Dawg!!!

We have not been able to take as many photos of food as we would have liked. Simply because we are terrified of looking like typical westerners (I know its stupid, but we have this weird paranoia).

OK, but enough with explanations. Let’s get to the food!

Oliver has bigger balls than me (duh!) because he ate silk worm larvae. I couldn’t make myself do it, and I am glad because he complained about the taste endlessly!

We went to another restaurant which had no pictures and only words. Feeling brave I pointed at a random one, indicating that that is what we will be having. We got a plate of some or other vegetable covered in hot sauce. It was delicious. But then we saw the table next to us get a plate of something that was moving, but I mean, really moving. We thought that it was a plate of worms, later we found out that it was octopus. They cut off the tentacles of an octopus while it’s alive and they vibrate on the plate for a while before the die down. That is the last time I pick a random object off of the menu. Phew!

As you would expect, there is a lot of rice! And it is the best rice ever! Gimbab (a roll of rice and fish – similar to sushi) and Bibimbap (rice mixed with vegetables and eggs).

In Korea you can find dried or pickled anything, octopus, squid, fish, vegetables. It’s weird and cool! We have had loads of the pickled stuff (delicious) and some dried mini fish (surprisingly Mmmmm).

Chicken in Korea is mind blowing…just thought I’d throw that out there!

With most meals you drink water, Soju (a watered down vodka), or Hof (draught beer).

Sweet stuff, there is not much in restaurants but tons in convenience stores. We bought some Dr. You the other

day. Chocolate cake that you don’t have to feel guilty about eating, supposedly!

OK, well that’s it for now!!!!





Bone meat soup!!! Yum!




Dr You: All the calories, none of the guilt




Rich Rich Chicken: sweet, crispy and unvelievable!



By: Claudia




0 comments:

Post a Comment